There’s no doubt that carpets make for beautiful additions to our homes. There’s no doubt that they can be really expensive. And there’s also no doubt that they can be pretty high maintenance too! Cleaning heavy rugs and carpets is one of the toughest jobs to do around the house. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Even better, there are easy ways to clean carpets without using any of the smelly and unsafe chemicals.
Using the day-to-day household items to clean your carpet or rug can make it look spic and span. Carpets are a breeding ground for dust, dirt, insects, bacteria and sometimes even fungi. Hence, for your own sake, it is crucial that you keep your carpets clean and free of all of the above mentioned muck through proper and foolproof methods. And now you can say goodbye to those offensive odours emitted by your chemical cleansers and open up your kitchen cabinet to enter a world of magical cleaning agents for your carpet.
As you might have already guessed, this post is all about remedies to get rid of the dirt and all sorts of stains and foul stenches from your beautiful carpet. Read on to know more.
Using Common Sense Goes a Long Way
There are certain things that you might already be aware of at a subconscious level and you probably practice them too for keeping your carpet clean. But for those who don’t, please make a note of the following steps to keep in mind for basic carpet cleaning –
Take off your shoes: A majority of the dirt, pollutants, germs and infections walk into our homes with you through the shoes you wear. In such a case, you have two options i.e. either take off your shoes before entering the house, or if you must wear footwear at home, keep a separate pair of socks/shoes/slippers/flip flops for using exclusively at home (these don’t go outside the house).
Vacuum at least twice a week: Keep asthma and allergies at bay by frequently vacuuming your carpet thoroughly, especially if you have kids and pets at home. The dust mites hiding in your carpet have the potential to gravely affect your health. Do not forget to vacuum the ground, edges and walls around and under the carpet as a lot of dust gathers there as well. Go back and forth at the same spot several times with a strong suction powered vacuum.
Keep a clean and healthy environment!
Protect your carpets with our professional cleaning today.
Clean up Spills on Priority
In order to prevent stains and spots from drying up and setting in deep into the fibre of the carpet, attend to spills immediately.
- For starters, it would be a good idea to use towels or paper napkins to soak up the spilled liquid. If the spilled substance is thick and sticky, you will do well to gently scrape it off using a wooden spatula.
- Follow this up by dabbing the spot with some detergent/soapy water using a soft towel.
- Do so till the stain comes off and then use another towel to rinse the area with a solution made of vinegar and water.
Steam Cleaning Your Carpet
This is done using a carpet steam cleaner and is very effective in making your carpet sparkling clean. (However, do bear in mind that before you use any machine on your carpet, it is important that you figure out what material/fibre the carpet is made of and if using that particular machine over it is good for its health.)
- All you need to do is prepare a solution using vinegar, hot water and your favourite essential oil (for fragrance, otherwise it’s optional) and use it in your steam cleaner. And there you have it – a carpet that is free of dirt, grease, grime, stains and bacteria.
- After completing this procedure, make sure that you leave the room well ventilated and keep the fans on for some time for any wet areas to dry up, thus preventing the growth of fungus and mildew.
Such a situation requires special care and attention. You’re going to need a well-ventilated room with ample sunlight coming in. You will also need to keep the fan and dehumidifier on throughout the entire cleaning process. It is preferable that you clean your water soaked carpet in the outdoors, if possible.
- It would help to lift the carpet for a while, allowing the ground underneath to dry up. Hold the carpet up against a wall or place it on a couple of tables and use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to remove as much water as possible.
- Use a shampooing machine over the carpet and let it work its magic by removing dirt and odour from the carpet and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Allow the carpet to dry completely. This will take several hours.
- Run the vacuum cleaner over the now completely dry carpet. If you still experience any lingering stench, spray some baking soda over it and leave it there for about half an hour and then dust it off.
A Few More Tips Worth Remembering
- To remove stubborn remnants like candle wax and chewing gum from the carpet, use an ice cube. Rubbing it over the stuck wax and gum will harden them up, thereby enabling you to simply scrape them off the carpet.
- Use baking soda to remove stains from spilled red wine and juice.
- To remove oil and greasy spots from your precious carpet, simply sprinkle some baking powder or corn starch over it and let it stay there for a short while. Follow this up with some brooming. Dab it with the vinegar and hot water solution till the stain comes off.
Try these quick tips and you’re sure to find your carpet looking as good as new. Of course, you can and should go for professional deep cleaning and shampooing every once in a while, too, to keep your carpet in pink condition!